Is it possible to answer the question, “How does your diet affect your health?” with a simple yes or no? The truth of the matter is that any diet affects you one way or another is not always the healthiest way. For instance, while you may believe that you are eating healthy and keeping up on a healthy exercise routine, you could be putting yourself at risk of heart disease, diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure, or even cancer.
One of the first things to understand when asking, “How does your diet affect your health?” is that what you put into your mouth and what you do to your body are two separate things. You can eat all the organic, whole foods that you want and maintain an ideal weight if you make smart food choices. But chances are that if you are eating a fast food meal, pizza, or anything else that is highly processed, you will get little benefit from those foods. They will fill you up, but they also contain chemicals and preservatives that your body doesn’t need and that in some case can lead to disease.
It is important to remember that your diet is just as much a lifestyle as it is a diet. You can eat well, but if you are doing the wrong things, then you will still be unhealthy. Lifestyle changes need to be part of your health strategy, just as much as a balanced diet. Here are some things to consider as you create your daily goals.
* Exercise. Exercise can help you live longer, reduce your risk for chronic diseases, and improve the function of your organs. If you are like most people, then your diet is not giving you enough time or energy to do the things that are necessary for optimal physical fitness. If you make the right choices, how does your diet affect your health?
* What type of foods do you eat? Some diets recommend eating as little saturated fat as possible. Others call for total abstinence from saturated fats. As long as you are eating healthy foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, and beans, how does your diet affect your health?
* What types of carbohydrates are you consuming? People in many different countries have different dietary needs. There is a wide variety of carbohydrates available on today’s grocery store shelves. If you are like most people, you aren’t making full use of all the options. How does your diet affect your health?
* What types of fats are you eating? The word fat brings to mind the bad stuff. However, not all fats are bad for you. In fact, some help your body function better and some are actually essential for our daily diet. How does your diet affect your health?
* How does your diet affect your energy level? Are you lacking sleep? Are you becoming frustrated because you’re not losing weight as quickly as you’d hoped? If you’re feeling fatigued, ill, and just plain cranky, it could be a symptom of your unhealthy diet. How does your diet affect your health? There are many different answers to this question but if you are struggling to lose weight, talk to your doctor about possible dietary changes.
* Do you have any allergies or pre-existing conditions? You may be able to avoid these conditions if you follow a healthy diet that includes lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, fiber, and small portions of protein. How does your diet affect your health?
* Are you suffering from any symptoms? Many common illnesses, including diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, and obesity, can result from poor diet choices. How does your diet affect your health?
Remember, learning how your diet affects your health is only part of the equation. It’s important that you work hard to make wise food choices and that you get plenty of exercise. This will ensure that you enjoy a long and happy life!